Do you love the Great Outdoors? Help protect and maintain our shared outdoor spaces. Volunteer at Theodore Roosevelt Island on Friday, June 14 for The Corps Network’s 6th Annual Great Outdoors Day of Service.
June is Great Outdoors Month®: a celebration of America’s lands and waters and the many ways to enjoy them. Organizations and municipalities host events throughout the month to encourage people to #EscapeTheIndoors. In 2018, over 1 million people participated in events.
The Corps Network, the National Association of Service and Conservation Corps, recognizes Great Outdoors Month® with our Great Outdoors Day of Service in Washington, DC.
Theodore Roosevelt Island, Washington, DC
Learn more about this location here: https://www.nps.gov/this/index.htm
- Inspire people to get outside and contribute to the preservation of America’s natural spaces. Hiking, biking, camping, fishing – so many outdoor activities would not be possible without proper stewardship of our park infrastructure and resources. All of us can pitch in to maintain the places and habitats that support our favorite activities.
- Raise awareness about the role of service in protecting and improving our public lands.
- Celebrate the service of Corpsmembers and other volunteers who help protect our natural treasures.
- Make a difference. We hope to make a dent in the backlog of maintenance projects on National Park Service properties in DC, helping our partners at NPS focus on other priority projects.
All are invited! We anticipate well over 200 volunteers, including young adults from Corps throughout the region, partners of The Corps Network, supporters of public lands, and people who generally love the Great Outdoors.
WHAT TO EXPECT
The event will involve maintenance and improvement projects at Theodore Roosevelt Island, a National Park Service site in Washington, DC. Activities will involve invasive species removal, debris cleanup, light landscaping, light construction, trail work, trail brushing, and erosion control. Before volunteers disperse to projects, the day will begin with a warm-up and remarks from inspiring speakers.
Individual volunteers can register using the RSVP button above. To register a group, please contact Lashauntya Moore, Member Services Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org
*NOTE: registration will remain open through the Day of Service, but volunteers are strongly encouraged to register by Monday, May 27. Those who register after this date cannot be guaranteed a Day of Service t-shirt.
WHAT TO BRING
- Long pants
- Long sleeve shirt
- Closed-toe shoes
- Work gloves
- Bug spray
- Refillable water bottle (water will be provided)
The Day of Service will happen rain or shine, so come prepared for the elements. We will get in the dirt and weeds; please bring appropriate clothing that will protect you from scratches, bug bites, poison ivy, etc. Each pre-registered volunteer will receive a Day of Service t-shirt. Breakfast, lunch and snacks will be provided.